Thursday, December 17, 2009

Steampunk vs. CyberPunk

A while ago I had a discussion with a student teacher who wanted to write Science Fiction styled graphic novels. 

He wanted to learned a few techniques from me on what he could draw. I looked into it myself and discovered there are several styles to choose from when designing a science fiction work. There's two major ones: Steampunk Vs. Cyberpunk. Cyberpunk is the traditional style of futuristic artwork, meaning everything has futuristic feel with clean, efficient technology and laser guns and all that good stuff. Steampunk is a bit different. It's a science fiction futuristic style, but in a different sense. Its technology is powered by old methods like steam and coal, and instead of the futuristic space suits, people where the old school 1950s outfits (though it can go as far back as the 1800s fashion).

My friend and I found a new style to consider when making our work, though he wasn't as keen on the idea as I was. He still preferred the Cyberpunk style.

No comments:

Post a Comment