Wednesday, November 25, 2009

3D vs. Claymation

I've always been a fan of 3D animation. Some of my favorites when I was young were movies like Nightmare Before Christmas and Toy Story. But I always noticed a big difference when I was young on how they looked, and I always wondered what type of effect that Tim Burton used to make his movie. 

I found out that the technique used in Nightmare (as well as most Burton Movies) is called Claymation (a.k.a Stop motion). It's basically creating clay models and moving them just a little and photographing each one. When you take several photos, you create an animation. 

The technique takes much longer than regular 3d animation., but by most animation critics is considered a more artistic approach. It's definitely a different and impressive approach, but not the fastest. But I'm no Futurist, so it's cool with me! 

No comments:

Post a Comment