Wednesday, November 25, 2009

New Media Tools

As an artist, the tools I use are the most important thing. I need the correct tool for the job, or the project itself will fail. That is why I looked into the Wacom Tablet.

I tested a few different tablets from Wacom. Tablets are basically mouse pads with the mouse replaced with a very complex pen tool. This basically allows someone to draw and paint freely on a computer program like Gimp or Photoshop. 

I've used the Wacom Bamboo model, the Intuos 3, and the Cintiq. I thought the Bamboo and Intuos were the best. The difference between the two sets is that the Cintiq actually has a screen where you see what you are drawing. The other two do not. The sensors on the Cintiq, however, feel off when you draw. Plus, they're somewhere around $1,500 dollars, the Bamboo is $100 and the Intuos is $300. 

People are better off getting the cheaper models, especially if they're just starting with digital artwork.

No comments:

Post a Comment