Monday, November 9, 2009

Cell Shading vs. Rendering

As anyone can tell from these blogs, I'm a fan of the 3D world. I always find something interesting when I research this area. 

I decided to discuss the different types of rendering I've found in the past few weeks. I always knew of the realistic, traditional rendering that I saw from games I played, but recently a friend of mine showed me a unique style called "cell shading."

The technique itself, as it turns out is a style of rendering that causes all the graphics to look like hand drawn or hand painted artwork. Several games (particularly the Nintendo games) such as the Legend of Zelda series, No More Heroes, and BorderLands use this style. I find it very useful to give game designs a unique, stylish look.

 It can add a sense of artistic intensity, such as in BorderLands, or give the game a cartoonish, carefree feel, Such as in LOZ. It also works in movies and animations just as well, though it isn't often used (which I find very disappointing...).

No comments:

Post a Comment