Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Manovich on New Media

I've thought for several years now that the integration of new media into modern design is principle to the advancement of design. I often find great study to the use of New Media in my N100 class. One particular reading disappointed me though. That was the reading on Lev Manovich's studies of Modern Media. Manovich in his studies discovered that America out of the major technology centers of the modern world was one of the last to embrace new media. The Japanese and Europeans were some of the first, according to the reading. This doesn't surprise me, considering that we were always an industrial country before the New Media boom of the late twentieth century, but it disappoints me that we didn't catch in sooner to integrating it into designs and art. As a country that seeks advancement, it's a shame that we came so late in using it for visual interest. I've learned we aren't always the ones to do that.

link to reading:

No comments:

Post a Comment