Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Eraser Head

A few weeks ago my friend showed me a movie that completely blew my mind. I only saw parts of it, and it was enough to get my emotions to react. It's called Eraserhead by the filmmaker David Lynch. It has no actual linear plot and it's open to each critic what the point is of the movie. It looks to me like the film adaption of a living nightmare, as most of the movie takes place through random dreamlike sequences. He really gets that dark, emotional sense of despair throughout the movie. He even did the whole film in black and white (even though color film was available) to increase that nightmarish feeling. I think he did his best to assure that the viewer would feel uncomfortable throughout the film. It's an amazing movie and in the end I learned of the existence of another great artist and a very unique style of film production.

Here's a sample of the movie that isn't very graphic:



I looked for some more works by Lynch and found that he did a lot of animated work as well, using old, hand painted pictures. They are really interesting animations that have that strange style he uses. It shows, despite the simple animations today, that there are some creative animators out there.
 

2 comments:

  1. Eraserhead is one of those movies I can really appreciate, but have never had the urge to watch again. My brother and I locked ourselves in a room with it and watched it from start to finish and it was one of the most unsettling experiences I've ever had with a movie.

    Uggh, that freakin' little goat baby...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought the exact same thing when I saw that flick. It was crazy but damn good. If you want to see a really wacko film from Lynch watch Mulholland Dr. You have to watch it at least three times to understand what's going on.

    ReplyDelete